Friday, May 27, 2011

The Power of a Smile

Isn't it amazing what a smile will do? It can transform a dark situation into feelings of hope. The power that laughter brings actually heals, at times. "A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing." (Proverbs 17:22a) When you last received a smile from a perfect stranger, didn't it feel good? A smile is free. At this day and age, it's usually hard to find. For some, it's hard to produce. but I find that it overflows in children. Jesus says we must become like children. A smile shines naturally if the heart is actively trusting, forgiving and choosing to love.

Oh, it's easy to smile when all is well. There was a day, almost eight years ago, I was very busy running from place to place, trying to get everything done that needed to be taken care of for the big night I had planned. I noticed that people were exceptionally happy that day. Everywhere I went strangers were not only smiling at me, but they were flashing their pearly whites to the point that I almost needed to keep my sunglasses on indoors. Finally, my last stop - I needed to run into the grocery store. I made a quick entrance into the restroom just to make sure that I wasn't the cause for the world's entertainment of the day. Were people laughing at me? And then I looked into the mirror. Oh my goodness - I was contagious!! You see, that evening I was going to marry the most wonderful gift that God has ever given me; and I was sharing that joy with everyone through my smile. Strangers were basically responding back to what I was giving them.

A smile is a free gift from God. Sometimes, as in my wedding story, it comes easy and is simply an over-abundance of the heart. But there are days when just smiling is a true effort. King David used to tell his soul to "take joy". In taking joy, we are placing our day into God's hands. Smiling, then, is an action of faith. It is trusting God in His sovereignty. It pleases Him and is a form of worship to Him. It is coming out of ourselves and being "others - focused".

I challenge you, as well as myself, to be contagious and welcoming with our smile. It is our first impression to others and it can lead to an open door to building God's kingdom. Let's grow down and out and up together.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing. I just got off the phone with a dear friend and colleague. She has been my spiritual mentor for the last 12 years of my advocacy work. I was feeling very overwhelmed, irritable, frustrated and every other emotion you can imagine. Years of doing battle with our bureaucratic Mental Health System had taken a toll on me this morning. My friend said, "It sounds like you've lost your smile. She went on to tell me that it was my smile that she was drawn to when we first met...it was filled with optimism. She was right...I felt like I didn't have another smile left in me. As soon as we hung up I noticed you had a new message on your Blog. Wow! God wastes no time in letting you know He is near. There in front of me on my computer screen was your message..."The Power of a Smile," perfect timing Lord. I began to realize that it was easy to smile at others but I just assume it came from a natural response to be caring or friendly. I never thought of it being a gift from God...an act faithfulness in His power. What had happened that I have not shared His gift of a smile with myself. My own broken image had blocked this precious gift. Lord I pray that I will never let another day pass where I deny myself or another smile...a smile that says you are with me always. In the midst of all my personal storms may my smile shine brightly on your face so that others may see you too.

    ReplyDelete